Hannah Harpster and Stacey Zerbst combined to help Charleston to a 37-stroke victory over Effingham on Thursday.
Harpster shot 40 and Zerbst 46 at Effingham Country Club. Rileigh Babbs (50) and Madeline Sanders (52) also contributed to the Trojans’ 188 overall total.
Harpster also carded 40 on Wednesday in the Olney Invitational held at Richland Country Club. The Trojans took third among six teams in the girls golf tournament.
“We made a small adjustment to Hannah’s swing off the tee box that allowed her better positioning for her second shots,” CHS coach Todd Keating said. “She also had a good day for her short game. The course offers some benefit with its smaller greens, which makes it harder to hit the greens in regulation but also makes for shorter putts.”
Stacey Zerbst fired a season-low 41, several strokes below her average.
“What we saw at Olney is Stacey at nearly her best,” Keating said. “She was confident and was able to get herself out of trouble when necessary. She’s averaged 45 this season, but she’s really a low 40s golfer. I was very excited with the team performance, but I expect we’ll see better scores before the end of the season.”
Mount Carmel carded a 158 to take first, followed by St. Anthony (160), Charleston (179), Effingham (203), Paris (214) and Olney (217).
- Mount Carmel — Maddy Young 37, Daisy Schrader 37, Lillian Gottman 39, Maria Kennard 45, Anna Gill 52, Lauren Hall 59
2. St. Anthony: Macy Ludwig 38, Reagan Westendorf 40, Ellie Wegman 41, Lauren Schwing 41, Cara Hakman 42, Nina Hakman 51
3. Charleston: Hannah Harpster 40, Stacey Zerbst 41, Rileigh Babbs 47, Taryn Pearson 51, Madeline Sanders 51, Malia Hodges 58
4. Effingham: Ava Boehm 38, Anna Sigg 49, Annie Frost 57, Ella Neibrugge 59, Anna Hirtzel 62, Marah Kirk 66
5. Paris: Kaitlyn Coombes 42, Sammy Milam 53, Katt Waltz 56, Aubree Wilson 63
6. Olney: Caroline Glover 49, Taylor Runyon 50, Megan Gibson 58, Rayne Goff 60, Kali Hinterscher 67