By Tim Taylor
Charleston Middle’s Avery Beals and Mattoon Middle’s Baylee Summers captured two titles apiece at the conference meet in Teutopolis.
Beals remained undefeated in the 100 meters among seventh-graders, finishing in 14.13 seconds, and also placed first in the 200 meters in 29.89.
Summers, also a seventh-grader, won both the 400 meters in 1 minute, 9.44 seconds, and the high jump at 4 feet, 6 inches. Teammate Kelci Irons had the second best jump.
Charleston Middle won eight conference titles overall, and Mattoon Middle earned five victories across the seventh- and eighth-grade competitions.
Teutopolis boys captured the team title for both seventh and eighth grade while St. Anthony won the seventh-grade girls title and Effingham the eight-grade girls championship. (Complete team results are listed below.)
The Mattoon seventh-grade boys 4×100 relay team won with a time of 56.61 seconds. Logan Thompson began the relay with a scorching first leg, and the team’s anchor Keeghan Shaw finished with a first-place finish. Mattoon beat the second-place team from Teutopolis by 1.1 seconds.
In throws, CMS seventh-grader Alex Matheny continued his dominance at shot put by winning with a distance of 31 feet, 3 inches. His teammate Tyler Oakley finished second with a throw of 31-1.75. Matheny also placed second in the discus.
At long jump, CMS’s Landon Bell won with a leap of 15-10 and Quinn Taylor placed third with a mark of 13-8.75.
Artem Lindley won the seventh-grade pole vault for the Trojans with a mark of 6-6 while Wesley Paul cleared 8 feet to win the eighth-grade title.
Ava Goble won the long jump with a mark of 13-8 for the Trojans while her teammate Samantha Fehrenbacher placed third.
For the eighth grade, Mattoon’s Imani McGee had the best long jump at 13-2.5 and Charleston’s Mia Hinds placed third.
In other events:
- CMS’s seventh-grade girls 4×200 relay team finished second.
- In the boys seventh-grade 100-meter dash, Mattoon’s Logan Thompson took second.
- Mattoon’s Logan Samuelson earned second in discus for eighth grade.
- Van Grayson won second in the 100-meter dash and 400 meters in the eighth-grade competition.
- Mattoon’s Hayden Gordon won second in the eighth-grade long jump event.
- The Mattoon eighth-grade girls 4×200 relay team won second in its event.
- Will Pullen won second in high jump for Mattoon’s eighth grade team by clearing 5-0.
- CMS’s Gavril Amartey won third in high jump.
- Charleston’s Meredith McGrath won third in the eighth grade 400 meters.
- Seventh grader Keeghan Shaw won third in high jump and the 200 meters.
7th grade girls results
- St Anthony 114 points, 2. Teutopolis 81, 3. Effingham 75, 4. Charleston 62, 5. Mattoon 47, 6. T 37
8th grade girls results
- Effingham 135, 2. St Anthony 91, 3. Teutopolis 73, 4. Taylorville 66, 5. Mattoon 29, 6. Charleston 27
7th grade boys results
- Teutopolis 114, 2. Effingham 90, Charleston 88, St. Anthony 85, 5. Mattoon 47, 6. Taylorville 6
8th grade boys results
- Teutopolis 144, 2. Effingham 94, 3. St. Anthony 74, 4. Mattoon 50, 5. Charleston 44, 6. Taylorville 23