We’re starting a new series of stories this week that will be focused on Coles County sports history. We assembled our initial list of local accomplishments after reaching out to you all on social media. You all narrowed the initial list of 25 to 10, then rated these final entries in order. But we did not limit stories to these final 10, as you will note over the next several weeks.
Like any list or poll, the final results are neither exhaustive nor scientific (although each one is impressive). But we thought it a good starting point for a series that will run beyond the next few weeks.
With that in mind, feel free to suggest local sports accomplishments that we missed by commenting below, on Twitter, or by sending a message via Facebook or to ColesCountySports@gmail.com. We plan to expand beyond high school and youth sports.
Like you all, we had big plans this spring. We wish the seniors our best. In the interim, we will start looking back on past accomplishments, beginning this afternoon. Keep safe. We hope to see you all back on the fields soon.
VOTING RESULTS FROM THE POLL
1. Lauren Chappell wins a third state individual golf title and leads the Charleston High team to a golf team title in 2016.
2. Charleston High boys golf teams win back-to-back state titles in 2017 and 2018.
3. Charleston High distance runner Riley McInerney sets a state record to win the 3,200-meter championship in 2013 at EIU’s O’Brien Field, clocking 9:08.44 in a time that still stands.
4. The Charleston High girls track team wins a conference championship for 30 straight years from 1977 to 2007.
5. Charleston’s Laura Myerscough advances to the final of the 2000 US Women’s Amateur Golf Championship.
6. Charleston High girls soccer outscores opponents by 100 goals and allows fewer than 10 during the season in going 19-1-3, losing only to a school nearly three times its size (Bloomington Normal) in the 2013 sectional championship.
7. Mattoon Middle goes undefeated in winning the 2008 state softball championship.
8. Mattoon Middle’s eighth-grade girls basketball and boys baseball teams win 1988 state titles in the same year with identical 22-0 records.
9. (tie) Mattoon High volleyball wins at least 30 games each season between 2012-2014, capturing three regional titles and one sectional title.
9. (tie) Mattoon High girls golf team qualifies for the state tournament for eight of the 10 possible years in the 1980s.