By Tim Taylor
CHS’s Wyatt Strader was victorious in both the long jump and triple jump at Friday’s Olney Invitational. Strader jumped 19 feet, 9 inches in the long jump and 38 feet, 4.5 inches in the triple jump.
The Mattoon 4×800 relay team of Trent Hettinger, Kegan Kirts, Quincy Hamilton and Brock Daveee also took home a victory with a time of 8 minutes, 41.53 seconds.
Davee won the 1,600 with a time of 4:41.87.
In a field of 10 teams, the Green Wave placed fourth with 71 total points, and the Trojans finished three points back. Newton won the event with 124 points.
Mattoon’s Dakota Spencer won the discus on the day with a toss of 134 feet, 3 inches. He also placed fifth in shot put.
Three Charleston pole vaulters earned points—Zac Stout placing second, Peyton Cox garnering fourth, and Caleb Oakley coming in sixth. Trent Hettinger and Quincy Hamilton came in seventh and eighth.
At high jump, Mattoon and Charleston athletes didn’t win but contributed points with MHS’s Matthew Gordon and Whalin Jackson coming in third and fifth, respectively. CHS’s Jacob Flight and Wyatt Strader had rough days at high jump, uncharacteristically coming in seventh and eighth.
Other notable performances:
• Charleston’s Flight came in third at triple jump.
• In the 3,200, Mattoon’s Sam Ferrar came in third, and Charleston’s Luca Carcasi placed fourth
• Mattoon’s 4×200 relay team came in fourth, and the 4×100 team came in fifth.
• MHS’s Sawyer Kirts took fifth in the 200.
• Charleston’s Caleb Oakley got fifth in the 110-meter hurdles.
• Mattoon’s 4×400 team placed fifth.
• SJ Howell earned sixth in the 400.
• CHS’s Alex Stout placed seventh in discus and seventh in shot put.