Halfway through the soccer and volleyball season, it appears that there is a true front runner.
Here are a few notes:
- After Mahomet-Seymour’s 25-20, 25-16 win over Charleston on Tuesday, the Bulldogs have positioned themselves at the top of the Apollo with a 5-0 record.
- Mattoon has been in quarantine since March 22 and had all of their matches rescheduled except for their games against Newton and Charleston this week.
- Next week, Mattoon volleyball will play 11 matches in three weeks.
APOLLO VOLLEYBALL STANDINGS
- Mahomet-Seymour and Mount Zion are clearly the two favorites in the Apollo right now. The two teams have a potential “Apollo Championship” match set for April 17th.
- “Mt. Zion and Mahomet appear to be the top two teams in the conference and their next game will likely determine the conference champion,” said Charleston head coach Josh Garrett. “We have only played three conference teams so far so I don’t have much to go on for the who is the best conversation.”
- Mount Zion head coach Jonathan Moore agrees, “We have just four games in so far (3-0-1) so it’s hard to get a real understanding of the Apollo. I see Mahomet, MTZ, Lincoln, and Mattoon with a reasonable chance.”
APOLLO SOCCER STANDINGS